Healthcare in Europe – travelling abroad for medical treatment

If you are travelling abroad for medical treatment, it is important to understand what you are entitled to receive and how to apply for funding.

View our leaflet:
Healthcare in Europe – information for patients (English)
Healthcare in Europe – information for patients (Italian)
Healthcare in Europe – information for patients (Czech)
Healthcare in Europe – information for patients (Polish)

View our leaflet:
Residents travelling to another European Economic Area country for fertility treatment - information for patients.


Here is the application form you should complete if you are a Lothian resident and would like to apply for reimbursement under the S2 route or the EU Cross Border Healthcare Directive:  European Healthcare Application Form

Please contact the Safe Haven Office, NHS Lothian, telephone 0131 465 5448, for advice before completing the form. Once completed, the form should be printed off and posted with the accompanying documents to:
Safe Haven Office (out of area referrals),
NHS Lothian,
Waverley Gate,
2-4 Waterloo Place,
Edinburgh EH1 3EG.


Please note that if you are wishing to exercise your right to seek treatment for drug or alcohol rehabilitation services, NHS Lothian will only reimburse individual patients when they would have been eligible to receive rehabilitation services within the NHS.

The best way to be sure about your eligibility for rehabilitation is to seek advice from your GP, who will be able to hold discussions with our local addictions partnerships.

Specific information about European cross-border healthcare policies and contacts within Scotland is available on the NHS inform website at

Last Reviewed: 25/04/2017