In life threatening illness or injury call 999
Your NHS is available all year round to care for you. While your GP practice and some NHS services will close on most weekends and public holidays the NHS continues throughout to provide urgent care for those who need it.
All year round - for immediate advice when your GP surgery is closed and you’re too ill to wait - call NHS 24 on 111.
They will put you through to a health professional who will talk to you about your symptoms and arrange for you to see a GP or Dentist if necessary.
For all routine health matters, including repeat prescriptions, contact your own GP practice.
- Most GP practices operate Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm.
- Use our online GP finder to find your GP's phone number or to find the GP practices nearest your home.
Did you know your local pharmacy can provide a range of advice and services?
The Minor Injuries Clinic at the Western General Hospital is open seven days a week from 8.00am to 9.00pm and can treat a range of injuries including sprains, burns and simple fractures.
- Treatment for a wide range of injuries, such as cuts, burns, sprains, wound infections and simple fractures for patients aged over one year.
- No appointment necessary (however, the last patient book-in is 8.30pm)
Emergency dental treatment
Click on the link to view information about what to do if you need emergency dental treatment.
Life threatening illness or injury
The Emergency Departments/A&E are for emergency situations only. Please think carefully before using emergency services.
- In life threatening illness or injury call 999
- Click on the link to view information about when to visit anwhen to visit an Emergency Department / A&E
Click on the link to find out information about the Mental Health Assessment Service (MHAS)
Emergency Contraception and STIs
Click on the link to find out information about emergency contraception.
Your local GP, Sexual Health Clinic and Chalmers Sexual Health Clinic offer testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs), free condom supplies, pregnancy tests and emergency contraception.