Sexual Health Emergencies

If clinics are closed and the problem is so serious that you cannot wait until the next Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) clinic opens - for example if you think you have been exposed to HIV in the last few hours, you have been sexually assaulted, or you are HIV positive and feel seriously unwell - you should contact NHS 24 Tel: 111 or the nearest accident and emergency department.

Staff at NHS 24 and A&E departments can deal with urgent problems and can contact members of our team for advice if required.

Emergency Contraception

If you need advice about emergency contraception (EC) you should phone NHS 24 on 111. Most pharmacies in Lothian will supply it free of charge to anyone aged 13 and over who is registered with a GP in Scotland. The sooner you take it the more effective it is - so don't delay. You can contact your nearest SRH clinic for further advice as soon as the next one is open.

Emergency contraception is used soon after unprotected sex or if you think your regular method has let you down. It does not cause abortion - it simply prevents pregnancy happening.

For more information on Sexual Health please visit the Lothian Sexual Health Website at

Last Reviewed: 02/05/2014