In life threatening illness or injury call 999
If you need medical advice when your GP practice is closed and cannot wait until your surgery is open please call:
- NHS 24
- Text phone users:
- If English is not your first language
Anyone who needs the assistance of a translator to access NHS 24 should tell the person answering the call the language they speak. The call with then be linked as soon as possible to a translation service.
Lothian Unscheduled Care Service provides out-of hours medical services for all of Lothian. These are not walk in centres. You must phone NHS 24 on 111 where the nurse adviser, if necessary, will arrange for an appointment for you.
Depending on the outcome of the assessment by NHS 24 you will either be seen by appointment at one of 5 out-of-hours centres which are located across Lothian or when necessary, in your own home. Sometimes a doctor will call you back to discuss your problem further.
All routine health matters, including repeat prescriptions must be dealt with by your own GP practice Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm.
The service is staffed by a team of:
- Nurse practitioners with extended training
What happens next?
- A call handler will ask your name, address, phone number and why you are calling.
- You will then speak to a nurse adviser who will assess your symptoms.
- Please note: At times when NHS 24 is very busy it is possible that the nurse adviser may arrange to call you back. If during that time your condition worsens please phone NHS 24 and let them know.
- The nurse advisor will provide you with advice or, if required, arrange for you to be seen by a health care professional in the local out-of hours medical service.
- In Lothian this service is called the Lothian Unscheduled Care Service.
If you have any comments or complaints about Out of Hours services you can write to:
NHS Lothian Patient Experience Team
or telephone 0131 536 3370
LUCS Review November 2014
LUCS has recently undergone a review of the service.
Please click this link for access to the whole review