Short breaks for carers

What is a ‘short break’?

For all kinds of reasons, carers may need a break from caring. ‘Short breaks’ is the word used to describe different types of breaks from caring. It is also sometimes called ‘respite care’.

Types of short breaks that exist in Edinburgh include: Older carer2.JPG

  • Services to allow the carer a few hours at a time, sometimes called ‘sitter services’
  • Overnight breaks, usually in some form of residential care
  • Direct payment breaks for older people, to allow you to chose the kind of break that would suit you both
  • Two or more days for longer breaks, including holidays

How to access a short break service

You will find many short break services in Edinburgh are allocated on the basis of need. In order to access these, the person you care for will need an assessment of their needs. This assessment should also take your needs into account. You can also ask for a carer’s assessment in your own right.

You can ask for an assessment from Social Care Direct. You can also go to the City of Edinburgh Council website to view information about short breaks.

Some free short breaks can be accessed by contacting the service, such as those provided by Vocal, Care4Carers or North West Carers (0131 315 3130).

Last Reviewed: 13/09/2016