The Bereavement Service has been established to improve the patient, relative and staff experience during bereavement by providing a single point of contact and liaison for death and bereavement-related issues.
We aim to support the care of relatives and staff in relation to death and bereavement in NHS Lothian’s hospital and community services.
What we do
The Bereavement Service complements the care and support routinely offered to bereaved relatives by hospital and community staff by:
- Providing advice and information on practical issues following bereavement, e.g. registering a death, arranging a funeral, etc.
- Providing booklets and other information resources.
- Developing bereavement information on the NHS Lothian public website and staff intranet.
- Signposting to sources of further advice and support in the community.
- Developing policies, procedures and guidelines for bereavement care.
- Supporting and advising staff in relation to bereavement care.
- Providing education within clinical areas and contributing to wider training programmes.
- Liaising with external agencies (such as registrars, funeral directors and the procurator fiscal) to ensure good communication and effective working relationships.
We do not provide bereavement counselling but can give details of services that do.
How to contact us
Phone: 0131 242 6995 (ext 26995)
Post: Bereavement Service
c/o Spiritual Care & Palliative Care Offices
Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
51 Little France Crescent
Old Dalkeith Road