Allied Health Professionals
Allied health Professionals (AHP’s) have a vital role to play in the delivery of healthcare across Lothian.
AHP’s have a range of roles that assist people of all ages in Lothian to overcome illness, keep healthy and live a full and productive life in the community. These services are delivered by highly trained staff in hospital, in the community and local schools.
The nine allied health professions are:
- Arts therapy (art, music, drama and dance-movement): Arts therapies are psychological therapies aimed at promoting creative expression and understanding.
- Dietetics: Dietitians assess, diagnose and treat diet and nutrition problems at an individual and wider public health level.
- Occupational therapy: Occupational therapy helps people to lead ordinary lives by improving their ability to carry out a range of day-to-day activities.
- Orthoptics: Orthoptists play a key role in the diagnosis and management of eye problems that mostly affect eye movement or the development of vision.
- Prosthetics and orthotics: Prosthetist specialise in prosthetic (artificial) limbs and the treatment of those with limb loss or absence. Orthotists specialise in the assessment of the whole body for biomechanical problems.
- Physiotherapy: Physiotherapy uses physical approaches to promote, maintain and restore physical, psychological and social well-being.
- Podiatry: Podiatry treats problems of the lower limbs and deals with the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of conditions.
- Speech and language therapy: Speech and language therapy is concerned with the management of disorders of speech, language, communication and swallowing in children and adults.
- Diagnostic radiography: Medical imaging covers all areas of diagnostic imaging services, including x-ray, ultrasound and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).
- Therapeutic radiography: Therapeutic radiographers are increasingly known as radiotherapy radiographers. They work closely with doctors, nurses, physicists and other members of the oncology team to treat patients with cancer.
In the coming weeks we will be developing further web links about our services across Lothian.
We will also be developing a student AHP page for those coming to Lothian on placement and a Research & Development webpage for all AHP’s.
Last Reviewed: 01/06/2011