If you are travelling abroad and require advice about immunisations, please download, complete and return this Travel Advice Request form to the practice. You should then allow approx. 7 days before telephoning the Practice Nurse for advice. She can be contacted by calling 0131 556 8842 on Mondays and Fridays between 1.30pm & 2.30pm only.
For general travel health information on your destination(s), you may find it helpful to visit www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk
If you are due to travel within the next four weeks you should contact a Travel Clinic (see below) as the Practice is unable to provide this service due to the short time available.
Ten Tips for Healthy Travel – The A to Z of Healthy Travel – www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk
- Seek advice from a healthcare professional, ideally 6-8 weeks before travel.
- Ask about vaccines that may be recommended for your destination (s).
- First aid kit should be carried in the hold; prescription medicine required during travel e.g. insulin, inhalers - carry in hand luggage.
- Ensure travel insurance covers health emergencies and repatriation.
- Take precautions if at risk of malaria; be aware, avoid mosquito bites, take malaria tablets correctly if advised and report any fever.
- Road safety is important - use the seat belt in cars, wear a helmet on bikes/scooters and avoid driving at night.
- Avoid casual sex or practice safe sex with good quality condoms to prevent HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.
- Verify and consume only safe food and water where possible. Keep hands clean; carry/use sanitising gel when soap and water are not available.
- Excessive sun exposure is damaging; limit exposure, seek shade, cover up, wear good sunglasses, use sunscreen at least SPF15.
- Leave animals alone; bites, scratches or licks on broken skin can transmit rabies infection. Seek medical attention as soon as possible if bitten or scratched.
The Specialist Travel Clinic – yellow fever centre
Ward 41, Regional Infectious Disease Unit
Western General Hospital
Crewe Road South
Edinburgh, EH4 2XU
TEL: 0906 589 0380
The Edinburgh Travel Health Clinic
14 East Preston Street
TEL: 0131 667 1030
Marchmont Surgery – yellow fever centre
10 Warrender Park Terrace
TEL: 0131 229 6314
MASTA Travel (Medical Advisory Services for Travellers Abroad)
5 Quality Street
TEL: 0131 336 3038
Edinburgh International Health Centre – yellow fever centre
TEL: 0845 375 2545
Adventure and Tourism Travel Clinic - yellow fever centre
Leith Mount Surgery
2 Lindsay Street
Edinburgh EH6 4EG
TEL: 0131 561 1945
The Edinburgh Clinic
40 Colinton Road
Edinburgh EH10 5BT
TEL: 0131 447 2340
Stockbridge Blue Practice
1 India Place
Edinburgh EH3 6EH
TEL: 0131 225 9191