Intermediate Care Service

Intermediate Care is jointly funded by Edinburgh Community Health Partnership and the City of Edinburgh Council
If you have been in hospital you can regain strength and independence at home with the help of Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, and Therapy Assistants.  You may also need this service to prevent you going into hospital.
Your GP, Social Worker or Occupational Therapist would decide with you if Intermediate Care is the right service for you and would make the request for the service.
An assessment will be completed by an Occupational Therapist and Physiotherapist or Therapy Assistant from Intermediate Care.
They will visit you at home to discuss any difficulties you are having and will plan with you a way of making it easier to manage things such as washing and dressing, making meals or moving about at home and outdoors.
Therapists and support workers will visit regularly to give support and advice.

Falls and trips

If you have fallen or have found someone who has fallen, in the first instance you should contact your GP or NHS24.
Our Falls Service provides advice and support to people over the age of 65 who have had a fall that has caused an injury or have experienced two or more falls in the last month.
You can be referred to this service by a health professional such as your GP or District Nurse.  Once you have been referred, a team member will visit to assess what difficulties you are having.  They will then work with you to plan what can be done to help.
If you are under 65 you can still get help with falls from Social Care Direct or the Community Physiotherapy Team
Fiona Stratton
Intermediate Care Service Manager
1st Floor
Chesser House
500 Gorgie Road
EH11 3YJ

Last Reviewed: 06/08/2013